Friday, May 1, 2015

What the Mirror Tells You

I was at a service at my church doing prayer stations. I sat down at a table by myself and found myself facing a small hand mirror and the question: "Look at your face in a mirror. What do you see?"
Sometimes an honest answer hurts. I had to look at my face and admit to myself that I see a girl who spends too much time telling herself she isn't good enough and not enough time remembering that God made her in His image. I see a girl who spends too much time worrying about the insignificant difficulties of life and not enough time praising God for the eternity He's promised her. A girl who spends too much time wanting someone else to tell her that she's pretty but not enough time letting God show her that she's beautiful, a girl who could find every minuscule flaw in her complexion but doesn't remember that God chooses everything for a reason. When I look in a mirror, I see a girl who's trying hard to become the woman God created her to be but she's nervous and scared because she doesn't know how.
Look at your face in a mirror. What do you see? I know it isn't easy. Sometimes I think we avoid mirrors, just because we're afraid of what we'll see. Not just afraid that the outfit we were so excited about this morning doesn't look as nice as we thought it would. Afraid that the person we see in the mirror isn't the person we're supposed to be. We have to remember that the only thing we're ever "supposed to be" is what God has created us to be, and there is nothing that can ever derail God's plans. He will make everything beautiful in its time, so we don't ever need to be afraid of what the mirror is telling us.


~Sheridan

No comments:

Post a Comment