Saturday, August 2, 2014

Beauty's Core | God's Children

Hi again! I’m back and I want to expand some on my last post. The first thing I kind of thought I should hit is that we really are children of God. “How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.” (1 John 3:1, NIV) John certainly isn’t trying to make this concept hard to understand. We are children of God, which means that we should bear resemblance to our Father.


This is the image of God in Michelangelo’s painting “Creation of Adam”, painted on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican sometime between 1508 and 1512. Well, I for one don’t have a beard, nor do I have little curly-haired angels all around me, so I think it’s a safe bet to say that when we are called to be like our Father, this isn’t the kind of “resemblance” we’re supposed to bear. Starting with this post, I’m going to hit a few of the major characteristics of God that we, as His children, should mirror. Of course, God is perfect and we are not, so we can’t really be any of these things the way God is. The focus is on being a reflection of God; on letting God work in our lives and shape us to be like Him, because we can’t be any of these things by ourselves. 
The seven traits of God that I want to look at (this may change depending on the Spirit’s leading) are:


  • God is constant
  • God is loving
  • God is righteous and holy
  • God is compassionate and merciful
  • God gives good things to those who ask; he is generous
  • God’s judgment is true and just
  • God is faithful





The reason I’m calling this set of posts “Beauty’s Core” is because these traits help form a foundation for the lifestyle that will really make us beautiful. I for one don’t want to just be noticed for being “pretty”; I want to be beautiful in God’s eyes, and that can only come from being a reflection of the only good thing: God.

Praying you all have a good week, and I'll talk to you soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment